Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"The Olympics Is Every Single Day"

Adam van Koeverden wrote an article for The Toronto Star: "Remembering Randy Starkman". You can read the full article here.

I love his quote:

"Randy lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn't every four years, it's every single day. He just got it."

This is why I had started this blog. I wanted to write about the Olympics, not only during the Olympics. I wanted to follow the athletes' results and training between the Olympics. I wanted to know the athletes before the Opening Ceremonies. I wanted to cheer and cry with them when they achieved their dreams or when they didn't. I wanted to recognize the amazing 20th finish from an athlete achieving their personal best, not just the gold medals.

Randy Starkman gave me that with his blog. Although I may not have written as much as I would like, I have followed the athletes through his writing and tweets as well as through the athletes' blogs and tweets. Randy helped me find the athletes on Twitter and their blogs.

I wonder who will pick up the baton that has now been dropped. Who will be the amateur athletes' voice? Who will make sure that we hear their stories? Who will the athletes trust with their stories?

I wish I was worthy, but I am not a writer. I loved the quote in the movie Contagion:

"Blogging is not writing, it's graffiti with punctuation"

So although I am not a "writer", I AM passionate about the Olympics and our athletes.

There is 101 days to go until the 2012 London Olympics. I will write as much as I can leading up to the Olympics. I hope that those interested in our athletes and the Olympics will find my blog and enjoy my posts until Randy's baton is picked up.

2 comments:

  1. As a journalist, I always wonder what happens to our voice when we're no longer here. While there never will be another Randy Starkman, I've seen a huge amount of evidence this week that the lessons of his life were well learned by everyone who knew him. Somewhere out there, there's a writer - or two, or ten - who will take those lessons and carry them forward. What a tremendous legacy he left us.

    And I'll politely disagree with you: You're a writer. This blog is a wonderful window into a world too many people only think about during an Olympic year. How much they'd learn if they chose to make it a part of their everyday lives, too. Thanks to you, they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you so much for your encouragement and support. I love your analysis of Randy's lessons and I hope to be one of ten, or hundred who will take them forward.

    ReplyDelete