Wednesday, August 15, 2012

SportCafé

In my last post, I wrote about my lack of writing this summer because I was spending more time reading than writing.

The increase in Twitter and blog activity by Olympians is one reason.

With my blog and twitter account, I was trying to follow and write about amateur sports. I was going from website to website, blog to blog, Twitter and Facebook trying to find information about athletes and their competitions. I was following athletes, sports organizations, sports channels and sporting events.  It was a little overwhelming at times.

A website that was launched this spring called SportCafé has made the task so much easier by having athletes' blogs in one place.  It's the other reason that I haven't been writing as much.

SportCafé has been a wonderful place to find articles and news about amateur athletes. It was founded by Etienne Morneau and Antoine Meunier who are kayak and canoe sprinters. You can read more about them by clicking here.

SportCafé is billed as a website "for athletes, by athletes" where athletes write about their experiences and share their blog posts.

It has made it much easier to follow my favourite athletes and get to know more about them but although it has made my search more efficient, it has also increased the volume as I learn about more Olympians and Olympic hopefuls.

When Randy Starkman passed away, I wrote a blog post (that you can read here) entitled "The Olympics Is Every Single Day" where I asked the questions:

I wonder who will pick up the baton that has now been dropped. Who will be the amateur athletes' voice? Who will make sure that we hear their stories? Who will the athletes trust with their stories?
SportCafé have given the athletes the opportunity to share their own stories and help the Olympics to be every single day!

No comments:

Post a Comment